Black bean brownies have been popping up everywhere so I decided to give them a try. Most recipes call for a lot of sugar and flour! So I made these as healthy as possible while still tasting sweet.
No-Flour Black Bean Brownies
(gluten-free and vegan)
- 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 can)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup 100% pure maple syrup, brown rice syrup or agave nectar
- 2 tbsp unrefined sugar or other granulated sweetener
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 pinch of salt
- Olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a food processor, and blend until smooth. Scoop into an oiled 8-inch square pan and spread evenly. Cook until inserting a knife in the center of the brownies comes out clean, approximately 15-18 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before adding frosting.
Frosting Crumble Ingredients
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp agave nectar or 100% pure maple syrup.
Process coconut, cocoa powder and agave nectar.
You can also try them plain or spread nut butters on top!